First-Time Homebuyer Workshops
NOTE: Due to COVID-19, First Time Homebuyer Workshops are now offered as on online workshop via Zoom from 5:30-8pm on the same dates as originally scheduled.
August 2020 update: The City’s Philly First Home grant program has been suspended and as such is not currently accepting applications.
The goal of these workshops is to provide homeowners with a strong foundation of knowledge before they begin the home purchase process. Prospective homeowners receive comprehensive information from experts about mortgage lending, credit and budgeting, real estate, home inspections, and available sources to help with down payment and closing costs. Each participant receives a packet of information, which includes an application for one-on-one counseling offered by MACDC’s HUD-certified housing counselors.
If you would like a live American Sign Language (ASL) interpreter, we will be happy to arrange to have one for you. Please allow at least two weeks at the time of your request.
If you have any questions about workshops or our Housing Counseling program, please email email@example.com.
2020 First-Time Homebuyer Workshop schedule, Mt. Airy:
January 16, 23 & 30
February 13, 20 & 27
March 12, 19 & 26
April 16, 23 & 30
May 7, 14 & 21
June 11, 18 & 25
July 16, 23 & 30
August 13, 20 & 27
September 10, 17 & 24
October 8, 15 & 22
November 5, 12 & 19
December 3 & 10
These workshops begin at 5:30pm.
All dates are Thursdays.
Register for Mt. Airy workshops HERE.
* * *
2020 First-Time Homebuyer Workshop schedule, Germantown:
These workshops begin at 5:30pm.
All dates are Tuesdays.
Register for Germantown workshops HERE.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- How do I get a one-on-one counseling appt?
- The first step in getting a one-on-one counseling appointment is attending one of our First Time Homebuyer Workshops.
- After you attend the workshop and fill out the Pre-Purchase counseling application, including the Authorization, Disclosure, & Privacy Statement Form, you will receive an attendance certificate.
- After you return a signed copy of the certificate and pay for your credit check, we will contact you with a time slot for an appointment.
- How do I sign up for a workshop?
- You can sign up for a workshop here: First Time Homebuyer Workshops. Note: if you are unable to sign up for the workshop, that means the workshop is closed. Workshops are usually full 4-6 weeks in advance.
- When do workshops open for signup?
- Workshops open for signup the 1st of the previous month they are scheduled for. For example, registration for October’s workshops will open September 1. Registration for November will open October 1.
- Why does Mt. Airy CDC require so much personal information to register?
- The demographic information is required by our funders: US Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD), Pennsylvania Housing Finance Agency (PHFA), and the Division of Housing and Community Development (Philadelphia). The rest of the questions help us understand the needs of our clients and is strictly for internal use only. Mt. Airy CDC will not sell or rent your information to unknown third parties.
- How long does it take to get my attendance certificate?
- Please allow 1-2 weeks from the date you attend the workshop to receive your attendance certificate via email. The certificate will be sent to the email address you signed up with.
- How do I qualify for the Philly First Home grant?
- As of August 26, 2020, the City of Philadelphia has suspended the Philly First Home program, and is not currently accepting applications. Keep in mind that there are still other lender-specific programs to apply to upon completion of one-on-one counseling.
- Can I use an outside credit agency report?
- Unfortunately, we cannot accept a credit report from an outside credit agency. Our funders require that we use a specific agency to pull a tri-merge report.
First Time Home Buyer’s One-on-one Counseling
Mt. Airy CDC’s counselors work one-on-one with clients to walk them methodically through the home purchase process and find a loan product that meets their financial position. During these four-hour sessions, clients learn how to manage and build credit, create and use and individualized budget, and negotiate the intricacies of financing, mortgages, and home maintenance, the importance of a home inspection, and what down payment assistance grants and loans that they maybe the eligible for. After the meeting, clients receive necessary counseling certificates that are required for various assistance programs. Mt. Airy CDC also does pre-closing education through a partnership with the Pennsylvania Housing Finance Agency.
Post Purchase Counseling
Maintaining a home is a big responsibility. Mt. Airy CDC’s housing team helps educate existing homeowners by providing home maintenance workshops, one-on-one counseling for home repair loans and grants, and counseling sessions focused on repairing credit and developing household budgets.
Home Improvement and Energy Workshop
These workshops inform homeowners about sources for home improvement loans, minor home repairs, energy savings, recycling, fire prevention, and other safety tips. Participants gather on Saturday mornings several times a year to share lunch and learn low-cost home repairs and energy tips presented by representatives from city agencies, utility companies, and energy experts. Participants usually receive energy saving light bulbs and/or recycling bins.
*Dates for 2020 will be posted soon.
If you are a realtor, contractor, home inspector, financial representative, or someone else who works in the business of buying and maintaining a home and would like to be a part of our award-winning housing counseling workshops, please contact Sharon Kim for more on how to present: